If you have a general maintenance issue at your property please use the form below to get in touch with our maintenance team!

Repairs and Improvements Guide

Imperial is responsible for most of the repairs to your home. There are some items that you are responsible for and some items that we will charge for when the damage is caused deliberately or through negligence. (See the table attached to find out who is responsible for carrying specific types of repairs)

Under the terms of your Contract, you are responsible for any damage caused by you, your household or visitors. If Imperial has to carry out repairs which are caused by such damage or misuse we will charge you for the cost of the work.

You can report a repair in the following ways

for Non-Urgent Repairs

for Urgent / Emergency or Out of Hours Repairs

Please do not call the out of hours numbers unless it is something that can not wait until the office is open.

Repairs are treated as emergencies if they are necessary to avoid danger or risk to health of the occupants or serious damage to the property. Initial emergency repairs may only be to make the situation safe, with follow up work arranged for a later convenient date.

We may charge you if we have to call out a contractor for an emergency without good cause.

Here are some examples of what we class as an emergency repair:

  • Gas Leaks ( if you smell gas you should first call TRANSCO 0800 999 111)
  • Major Leaks that could cause substantial damage or flooding ( minor leaks should be reported the next day)
  • Total failure to electrical power ( first contact Western Power to make sure that it isn’t being caused by a temporary power cut to the area)
  • Total Breakdown of heating and hot water during the winter months.
  • No water supply ( check with Welsh Water first to confirm they have not temporarily switched off the supply)
  • Any Major vandalism/ damage to the property that has left the property unsecured eg smashed windows/doors.

Urgent repairs that do not pose an immediate risk to health and safety but should be carried out quickly to avoid damage to the property or risk to tenants. Such repairs will be treated as soon as possible or within 7 days depending on the urgency of the repair.

Examples of urgent Repairs are:

  • Minor leaks that can be contained
  • Partial breakdown of heating/hot water
  • Blocked sinks
  • Broken appliances eg, oven, fridge, washing machine etc

When a repair does not cause immediate inconvenience or pose any danger to occupants it may be completed within 28 days. When you report your repair depending on its severity we will give you a time frame in which the repair will be completed.

Please remember that some repairs are not straight forward and may involve several visits by several different contractors. We appreciate tenant’s patience with on-going repairs and will keep you informed of the progress. We aim to get all repairs carried out as quickly and efficiently as possible.

So that we can action your repair as efficiently as possible you should let us know:

  • Which items need repairing or replacing?

  • What is the problem? Is it loose, stiff, leaking or broken?

  • What is causing the problem?

  • Where is it? Which room inside or whereabouts outside?

  • How big is the problem? What size is the area being affected?

  • Is it causing any other problems or damage?

  • When can we come and do the repair? Can we enter at anytime?

  • We will let you know how quickly we can do the repair, we will either arrange the nearest convenient time with you or tell our contractor to contact you to arrange when to call.
  • If the repair is urgent /an emergency we will gain access immediately using our own keys if you are not home.

Burst Pipes:

  • Turn off the water at the main stopcock and turn off any valves at the water tank

  • Open all taps to drain the water from the system

  • Turn off any water heaters

  • Do not touch any electrics that may have got wet.

  • Turn off electricity at the consumer unit ( Fuse Box)

  • If the leak is making the ceiling bulge, place a bucket under the ceiling and using something such as a screwdriver pierce a hole to let the water escape.

  • Call us immediately to send a contractor who will take care of the rest.

Smell Gas:

  • Open doors and windows to let the gas escape

  • Check to see if any gas appliances have been left on eg gas hob?

  • Turn off gas supply at the meter

  • DO NOT use light switches, plug sockets or door bells

  • DO NOT smoke or use naked flames

  • Call TRANSCO on 0800 111 999 but do not use your mobile inside, call from outside the property.

  • If the smell of gas is in the communal area please do not leave it for someone else. Call the emergency service yourself.


  • Get everyone out and stay outside.

  • Close all doors to contain the fire and stop smoke and fumes spreading

  • Call the Fire Brigade on 999

  • DO NOT re-enter for any reason!


  • Sink blockages are usually caused by the build-up of fats, hair, food etc it is advisable to clean wastes with sink/plug hole unblocker at least once a month.

  • If a wastepipe is not blocked but is slow to drain away place a bowl under the trap; unscrew the joints and remove the trap; clean thoroughly and replace the trap, ensuring that all the joints are securely sealed.

  • Try using a plunger for sinks and toilets or a house gold product for sinks.

  • If more than one thing is blocked (eg the toilet and the sink) the problem may be the main drain/soilstack. Contact us to call out a plumber.

Avoid blockages by:

  • Not flushing babywipes, paper towels, nappies and sanitary products down the toilet.

  • Not tipping any fats down the sink that can solidify in the pipes and form a blockage.

There are some things at your property that you are responsible for ( see below) however please do not attempt and major works yourself, we should be informed of any major repairs so that you are not held responsible for any damages that are caused to the property due to neglect.

If you wish to adapt or improve your home you will need our written permission. if your require mirrors/ shelves/ curtain rails to be put up we can arrange for a contractor to do this for you safely and to insure no damage is caused to the property. These items must also be left at the end of the tenancy to avoid damages to the walls from their removal.

If you wish to use your own furniture instead of the furniture provided then we can have the furniture removed but you will be liable for the cost of the furniture removal and its storage for the period of your tenancy.

Light bulbs – it is your responsibility to change the bulbs throughout your tenancy.
Blockages – tenants are expected to maintain their baths/showers/sinks and toilets and if a blockage occurs tenants maybe charged.
Pest Control – You should contact your local Environmental Health Department at the Council regarding pests. We will cover the cost of a call out if you have moved in within the last 6 weeks.
Toilet Seats – If we replace or refix your toilet seat you will be charged.

For a full list of tenancy charges please see your contract.

GAS Bill
TRANSCO: Tells you who your GAS supplier is 0870 608 1524

Electricity Bill
WESTERN POWER: Tells you who your ELECTRIC supplier is 0845 601 5972

Some popular suppliers which our tenants are using are:
SWALEC: 0800 107 9639 or Visit
British Gas: 0800 048 0202 or visit

Water bill
WELSH WATER: We only have one Water supplier in Wales which you can register your names by calling 08000 520145 or simply visit their website on

CARDIFF COUNTY COUNCIL (COUNCIL TAX): Even if you are a student, you still have to register your names. May we remind you that you must obtain your council tax exemption certificate and send a copy of it to the council along with a copy of your tenancy agreement. They will then send you a letter stating zero balance is owed. We need a copy of either the zero balance bill or your exemption certificate from your University.

By Telephone: 029 2087 2087
By e-mail:
By Post Council Tax, PO BOX 9000, Cardiff, CF10 3WD
In person
Please ring 029 2087 1391 to make an appointment.
Cardiff Centre, Advice Hub, Ground Floor Marland House, Central Square, Cardiff, CF10 1EP

Imperial Maintenance Office

Gas leaks: 0800 111 999

Meter Helpline: 0870 608 1524

Western Power: 0845 601 3341
Electricity Power Loss: 0800 052 0400

Welsh Water: 0800 052 0130

non emergency: 029 2022 2111
To report anti-social behaviour, vandalism, etc: 101
Police/Fire/Ambulance – Emergency: 999

Cardiff Council:
Housing Benefit / Council Tax Benefit: 029 2087 1090 / 092 / 093 / 094 / 095
Housing Advice Unit: 029 2087 1050
Council Tax: 029 2087 1509
City Hall / All Departments: 029 2087 2000
Connect-to-Cardiff: 029 2087 2087

Citizens Advice Bureau: 029 2039 8676

Crimestoppers: 0800 555 111

Recycling information helpline: 0845 331 3131

Energy Saving Trust: 0800 512 012

Freecycle: online community where you can find or get rid of things that are too good to just throw away

Track 2000: Cardiff-based organisation that recycles and reuses furniture and other equipment)
08450 700 395

Available From
1 Bedrooms
£860 pcm
The Parade
Available From
£690 pcm
Woodville Road
Available From
1 Bedrooms
£865 pcm
The Parade
Available From
1 Bedrooms
£650 pcm
Woodville Road
Available From
1 Bedrooms
£720 pcm
Stow Hill
Available From
1 Bedrooms
£820 pcm
Bedford Street